Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal enlargement gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Massive by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a good possibility for owners on the lookout for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring possibility.
Additionally, it’s one of the crucial inexpensive flooring choices, making it an awesome alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. toes of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should purchase luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The House Depot.
So, should you set up it your self, it may solely value you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is chopping it tight towards a wall. All floating flooring require an enlargement house — you’ll want wherever from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the luxurious vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply remember to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Comply with the instructions precisely relating to any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment may already be connected.
Watch: The best way to Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris in Alabama has spent in his new residence, and he’s seeing the consequences of thermal enlargement. Over the previous months, he says vital gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the difficulty? If the gaps are stuffed will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s wonderful how a lot supplies in a house increase and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than while you’re crown molding.
These gaps will often shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round. If in case you have some gaps which might be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As a substitute of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem however it gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Hearken to be taught the simple option to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what that you must do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A home-owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“In addition to raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to select them up. Is there a bit of apparatus appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you need to use to take away from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to include the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These will be dear, so see should you can hire one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To get rid of this downside sooner or later, forestall the acorns from falling within the first place. If potential, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical remedies can forestall acorn manufacturing, however solely knowledgeable arborist ought to apply them.
Take into account — eradicating acorns will be time-consuming and also you may must repeat it as new acorns fall. All the time put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and pay attention to bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A home-owner says the tempered glass on his fuel cooktop immediately shattered the opposite day, despite the fact that it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be robust and sturdy, however it could possibly shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. Among the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop shouldn’t be put in accurately, it could possibly put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an illustration, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it may put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to fast modifications in temperature, resembling from a sizzling pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it could possibly trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Typically, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra vulnerable to shattering. If that is so, report it to the producer.
You possibly can name knowledgeable to exchange the glass cooktop, however it may be costly. Contemplate changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To forestall a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following pointers:
- Don’t place a sizzling pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This will trigger thermal stress and might trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and forestall warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it could possibly scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, resembling forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they’ll trigger influence harm.
- Clear the cooktop often with a light detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or fabric to take away any filth, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it could possibly trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- All the time comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Protecting Terracotta Tile
A home-owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California rental.
“The floor is simply too onerous, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we’ve got extra snug flooring put in on high? It looks like removing can be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll need to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a clean, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You may run into the issue of elevating the ground top an excessive amount of to the place it could possibly block home equipment from opening or make them not degree along with your cupboards and counters. Examine the peak of the brand new flooring to verify this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for masking terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring will be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and simple to scrub.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring will be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring will also be put in over the present tiles and is accessible in lots of types and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a sort of flooring that isn’t connected to the subfloor, the sort of flooring will be put in over the terracotta tiles and will be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with knowledgeable flooring specialist to find out the most suitable choice in your particular scenario.
Greatest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your initiatives. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Instrument — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you have to first take away any standing water. Now, you could possibly use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s an alternative choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally referred to as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you possibly can squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or if in case you have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: The best way to Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s greatest to go the paint by a filter to display screen out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by a lot too slowly. As a substitute, use a bit of vinyl insect screening. Lower the display screen about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the previous paint by the display screen. When achieved, rinse out the display screen with a backyard hose and reserve it for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: The best way to Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
If in case you have a remark, normal query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on At the moment’s House owner, please fill on this kind: