Hear find out how to hold an outdated paint shade from displaying by means of, what to do about peeling paint on a bath and extra.
Protecting Previous Paint Coloration
A house owner is attempting to color inside partitions, however the outdated shade retains coming again.
“I’ve now put three coats of primer on the partitions, and the outdated shade remains to be shining by means of!” they are saying. “Is there something I can do to cowl up that paint efficiently?”
There are just a few steps you possibly can take to attempt to enhance the protection of the primer:
Sand the partitions: Sanding the partitions will create a tough floor for the primer to stick to, which can enhance its protection. You’ll want to wipe down the partitions with a moist fabric to take away any mud after sanding.
Use a high-quality, high-adhesion primer: Some primers are particularly formulated to stick to tough surfaces, akin to shiny paint or oil-based paint. Utilizing a high-quality, high-adhesion primer could enhance the protection of the outdated paint.
Study extra: The way to Select the Proper Sandpaper Grit for the Job
Use bonding primer: Bonding primer, often known as adhesion primer or glue primer, is a sort of primer that’s particularly formulated to stick to tough surfaces. It’s designed to bond to surfaces which are in any other case exhausting for paint to stay to, akin to shiny paint, metallic, or plastic. You’ll want to permit every coat to dry completely earlier than making use of the subsequent.
Tint the primer: One of these primer has been combined with a small quantity of paint pigment to offer it a slight shade. Tinted primer can be utilized to assist cowl up darkish colours or imperfections on a floor, or to enhance the general look of the completed paint job.
If the paint remains to be displaying by means of, you might want to color the partitions a darkish shade to hide the outdated paint.
Peeling Paint on a Tub
The paint is peeling like loopy in a brand new house owner’s bathtub.
She says, “It has been like this since they moved in, and we’re questioning if it’s okay to take all of it off.”
It’s typically not a good suggestion to take away the entire paint from a bath. If the paint is peeling, it’s probably that the underlying layer just isn’t nicely adhered to the bathtub floor, which might trigger additional peeling and harm.
One possibility is to take away unfastened and flaking paint utilizing a scraper or wire brush. Then, sand the floor to create a tough, porous floor for the brand new paint to stick to. The bathtub ought to then be completely cleaned and dried earlier than making use of a brand new coat of paint.
If the paint is in poor situation and can’t be salvaged, take away the entire paint and begin recent. Nevertheless, this could be a time-consuming and labor-intensive course of. It’s additionally necessary to bear in mind that the underlying floor will not be in good situation.
Earlier than starting any work on the bathtub, it is very important defend your self and the encircling space. Put on protecting gear and canopy any close by surfaces with drop cloths.
Learn Portray a Bathtub? Right here’s What You Have to Know for extra data.
In case you are not comfy refinishing the bathtub by yourself, you might need to contemplate hiring knowledgeable to refinish the bathtub for you.
Take heed to study the professionals and cons of tankless water heaters, find out how to restore rotten soffit, find out how to hold snow from moving into ridge vents and extra.
Professionals and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters
A house owner is considering changing his normal water heater with an electrical tankless water heater and desires to know the professionals and cons.
Professionals of tankless water heaters:
- They will present an limitless provide of sizzling water: As a result of tankless water heaters warmth water on demand, you’ll by no means run out of sizzling water.
- They’re extra power environment friendly: Tankless water heaters solely warmth water once you want it, in order that they’re extra power environment friendly than conventional tank water heaters. This can lead to power financial savings of as much as 40 %.
- They’ve an extended lifespan: Tankless water heaters have an extended lifespan than conventional tank water heaters as a result of they don’t have a tank that may rust or corrode.
- They’re extra compact: Tankless water heaters are way more compact than conventional tank water heaters, making them a good selection for small properties or residences.
Cons of tankless water heaters:
- They’ve the next upfront value: Tankless water heaters have the next upfront value than conventional tank water heaters. Nevertheless, the power financial savings over time can offset this preliminary funding.
- They require extra upkeep: Tankless water heaters require extra frequent upkeep than conventional tank water heaters. This consists of cleansing the burners and changing the filter.
- They will not be appropriate for big households: Tankless water heaters could not have the ability to present sufficient sizzling water for big households with a number of showers and home equipment operating concurrently.
- They will not be appropriate for properties with low water stress: Tankless water heaters require a sure minimal water movement price to function successfully. If your house has low water stress, a tankless water heater will not be a good selection.
Changing Rotten Soffits
A house owner’s soffits are bowing downward and rotting. He asks: “I’m undecided what to exchange them with. What do you recommend?”
It appears like you will have a difficulty with the structural integrity of your soffits. Bowing and rotting soffits could be a signal of water harm or poor air flow. If the harm is intensive, it could be crucial to exchange the soffits solely.
There are a number of choices for changing soffits:
- Wooden: Wooden is a conventional materials for soffits, nevertheless it requires common portray or staining to take care of its look. It may additionally rot or turn into infested with pests if not correctly maintained.
- Vinyl: Vinyl soffits are low upkeep and resist rotting, however they could turn into brittle over time and might be susceptible to cracking in excessive temperatures.
- Aluminum: Aluminum soffits are sturdy and resist rust, however they are often susceptible to dents and should require periodic portray.
- Fiber cement: Fiber cement soffits are a dearer possibility, however they’re extraordinarily sturdy and resist rotting, warping, and bug infestations.
Stopping Snow from Getting into Ridge Vents
Snow retains moving into a house owner’s attic area by means of the ridge vents each time there’s a blizzard with sturdy winds.
He says, “There may be sufficient snow that I’ve to make use of a shovel to take away it. Snow gathers on the beam beneath the ridge vent the place gentle bulbs are affixed. How do I alleviate this downside?”
There are just a few steps you possibly can take to stop snow from getting into your attic by means of the ridge vents:
- Set up snow guards: Snow guards are units which are put in on the roof to stop snow and ice from sliding off and accumulating on the eaves.
- Set up warmth cables: Warmth cables, often known as roof de-icing cables, might be put in alongside the eaves and the ridge to stop snow and ice from accumulating. The cables use electrical energy to generate warmth, which melts the snow and ice on contact.
- Set up a snow fence: A snow fence is a bodily barrier that’s put in on the roof to dam the wind and forestall snow from blowing into the attic by means of the ridge vents.
- Insulate the attic: Correct insulation within the attic may help stop snow from melting and refreezing on the eaves, which might trigger ice dams.
It might even be useful to have knowledgeable examine your roof to make sure that it’s correctly sealed and in good situation. If the snow is getting into by means of gaps or openings within the roof, these points will have to be addressed with a purpose to stop future snow accumulation within the attic.
Finest New Merchandise
|Whether or not you have to retailer frozen meals, produce, or drinks, the Vissani convertible freezer/fridge can deal with all of it. Study extra >>|
Mistaken Dimension Wrench? No Downside! — What do you do when an open-end wrench is a bit too giant for the nut or bolt you’re attempting to loosen or tighten? This occurs when engaged on a metric fastener and also you’ve solely bought a standard-size wrench or visa versa.
Properly, you will have heard of the trick of utilizing metallic washer or coin to fill the hole within the wrench. And whereas that does work — generally — right here’s a greater answer:
Place the too-large wrench onto the nut or bolt after which jam a slotted screwdriver into the hole between the fastener and wrench.
The wedge-shaped tip of the screwdriver tightens up the match and actually locks the wrench in place.
Watch: Do It! Hack Your Wrenches to Bust Nuts Free
Steam Clear Your Microwave Oven — Right here’s a straightforward, easy solution to clear the within of your microwave oven:
- Pour a 50/50 answer of water and white vinegar right into a glass bowl.
- Set the bowl within the oven and microwave on excessive for a number of minutes.
- Rigorously take away the bowl, then scrub the within of the oven with a scouring sponge. The steam created by the water and vinegar will loosen even essentially the most cussed, caked-on stains.
Watch: The way to Steam-Clear Your Microwave in Minutes
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
If in case you have a remark, basic query about dwelling enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Right now’s Home-owner, please fill on this type: